My Photo
Name:
Location: Anaheim, California, United States

Regular contributor for Random Lengths (circulation 56,000) in San Pedro, CA, 2001-present. Columns "Life in Long Beach" and "Life After Mother" pub. in Senior Reporter of Orange County. Manga reviewer: LA Alternative (circulation 150,000), 2005-2006. Some manga reviews also ran in NY Press around this time. Entertainment reporting: Music Connection (circulation 75,000), 1983-1906. Travel writing: Oakland Tribune (1998) and Life After 50 (2006). Other bylines: Goldmine, Star Hits, Los Angeles Reader, Los Angeles Times, Long Beach Press Telegram, Blade, BAM, Daily Breeze, LA Weekly. Specializations include community news reporting, writing reviews (book, theater, concert, film, music), copywriting, resumes, editing, travel writing, publicity, screenwriting, lecturing, and content development. Education: B. A. Theater Arts, UCLA. Post-grad work, Education, Chapman University.

Friday, February 17, 2023

Lifetime Goals, Short-term Goals, and the Third Lifetime Question

Alan Lakein's book, How to Get Control of Your Time and Your Life, directs readers to answer three questions, spending about two minutes on each one, plus another two minutes to review and improve upon your answers. I found answering the questions easier than I thought.

For the first question, "What Are My Lifetime Goals?" now that I'm a senior taking care of my family's home and property, the answers come easily.

1.  Determine best place to live in terms of home and community, which does not appear to be my present home--it's too large, requires too much maintenance for one elderly person. It's also in an area with a high cost of living.

2.  That means downsizing, selling/donating/tossing/recycling surplus goods, in order to be able to live more simply in a smaller space, and for more ease in moving to a new residence, and maybe even moving more than once.

3.  Travelling, both to determine where best to move and to see some American landmarks I've always wanted to see:  the Grand Canyon and the southwest, Mt. Rushmore and the northern plains, return to Nashville, maybe to North Carolina, and of course fulfill the family obligation of visiting the relatives fairly regularly.

4.  Improve freelance income and bring expenses within budget.

Now go to the second question, "What are my goals for the next three to five years?" That means between now and 2026 or 2028, and, for me, the same goals apply as the four listed above. I'd add selling the family home and moving to a downsized home in an area with a lower cost of living, and also end-of-life planning:  a formal will, financial power of attorney, funeral and burial plans and expenses, sufficient savings for end-of-life care.

The third lifetime question, is, "If I knew I would be dead six months from today, how would I live until then?" 

Lakein advises, "Assume that everything related to your death has been attended to" but I disagree. In my view, I'd better make sure the details of the end of my life have been attended to, the sooner the better, because I'm the best person for the job. 

Looking at a final end, though, I can understand, stop placing so much emphasis on the house and property. The relatives (and perhaps friends) will take care of all that, one way or another, if they must. Place more emphasis on the travel--on the things that only you can do. "I didn't sell the house" is not a regret. "I didn't travel to [fill in the blank]" is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home