My Photo
Name:
Location: Anaheim, California, United States

Regular contributor for Random Lengths (circulation 56,000) in San Pedro, CA, 2001-present. Columns "Life in Long Beach" and "Life After Mother" pub. in Senior Reporter of Orange County. Manga reviewer: LA Alternative (circulation 150,000), 2005-2006. Some manga reviews also ran in NY Press around this time. Entertainment reporting: Music Connection (circulation 75,000), 1983-1906. Travel writing: Oakland Tribune (1998) and Life After 50 (2006). Other bylines: Goldmine, Star Hits, Los Angeles Reader, Los Angeles Times, Long Beach Press Telegram, Blade, BAM, Daily Breeze, LA Weekly. Specializations include community news reporting, writing reviews (book, theater, concert, film, music), copywriting, resumes, editing, travel writing, publicity, screenwriting, lecturing, and content development. Education: B. A. Theater Arts, UCLA. Post-grad work, Education, Chapman University.

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Product Reviews and my Allergies: Dove and Other Cleansing Bars

For the time being, I'm using Ivory Soap. For moisturizer I'm applying olive oil and then washing it off with the Ivory. I've found I can't even use Dove Sensitive Skin Beauty Bar, which is normally something people with sensitive skin can use.

Dove Sensitive Skin Beauty Bar has one different ingredient from the regular Dove Beauty Bar. It omits any fragrance and adds maltol. Something in the ingredients the Dove bars share is causing me to have an allergic reaction. I've tried the "Sensitive Skin" version several times over the past couple of weeks, and it's always caused me to feel sick--it's hard to describe my reaction other than that. I've already found out I can't use the regular bar. I can't narrow down which ingredient(s) could be causing my reaction, but for now I'm stuck with Ivory. Here's a comparison of the Dove Sensitive Skin Beauty Bar ingredients to the Dove Beauty Bar: http://www.etherealauraspa.com/blog/stop-using-soap

Rose 31 Body Bar by Le Labo Fragrances--the bar I have is for sale to hotels so the ingredients list doesn't appear to be online. The box says the product is not tested on animals.  Ingredients listed on the box:  sodium palmate, sodium cocoate, water, glycerin, parfum (probably rose), lauryl glucoside, shea butter, sodium chloride, titanium dixoide, pentasodium pentetate, limonene, tetrasodium etidronate, alpha-isometheyl ionone, linalool, citrionellol, gerniol. I don't see any reason to stop using Ivory for as an overall skin cleanser, but for hand-washing this product appears to cause me no issues other than some dryness. 

Update, 3/27/20:  

Grandma's soap is sold at ACE Hardware, and lists three, and only three, old-fashioned basic soap ingredients--lard, lye, and water. If someone had a reaction to this product, it'd be easy to narrow down the cause. However, some of the packages are labeled, "itchy." So you're buying something that you want to be itchy, apparently.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home